Due to our extended school building closure, the March 17 deadline to turn in 2020-21 Junior High course selections was postponed. The new deadline to turn in these course selection sheets is Wednesday, March 25. As a reminder, 2020-21 7th grade course selection sheets are purple and 8th grade course selection sheets are green.
Still have not turned in your Course Selection Sheet for the 2020-21 school year? Watch this tutorial video of what we need for you to do.
Your options to turn in your student’s course selections include: (1) Scan or take a picture of both sides of the course selection sheet and send it to your student’s Junior High School counselor by email; or (2) If you no longer have the course selection sheet, you can just type them out and send them in an email to your student’s school counselor. If your student turned in their course request sheet to their Science (current 7th graders) or Social Studies (current 6th graders) teacher prior to the extended school building closure, there is no further action needed at this time.
School Counselor Contact Information
Student Last Names A - K: Mary McConnell at [email protected]
Student Last Names L-Z: Dana Mitchell at [email protected]
2020-21 Junior High School Elective Program of Studies
- Core Class Placement: Students are placed in specific levels of core courses - English Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies - based on nationally-normed assessment results.
- Elective Course Selection: Students select electives that equal a combination of 2 periods per school day for the entire year. Elective courses range in course length from one quarter to yearlong.
- STEM-based Project Lead the Way (PLTW): Springboro Junior High School is offering 8 different Project Lead the Way courses for the 2020-21 school year. Take a look at the link below to see all the authentic, engaging projects that Project Lead the Way students experienced this year! Project Lead the Way Video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mlIDh_lwtEsLZjoMAwrxbf5BRijo5B0P/view?usp=sharing
- Band/Strings/Choir AND International Languages: If a student plans to take (1) a Band, Strings, or Choir course for the entire year in 7th AND 8th grade; and (2) an International Language course, students must take their elective requirements - Health, Physical Education, and Careers and Consumer Concepts - in 7th grade so that the International Language course can be taken in 8th grade. In other words, students cannot take two years of Bands, Strings, or Choir AND two years of an International Language course while at the Junior High.
- International Language Courses and High School Credit: International Language courses count towards students' high school credit and high school Grade Point Average (GPA). Semester exams count for 20% of student's final grades each semester.
- Athletic Eligibility: Participation in school-sponsored athletics is guided by the Ohio High School Athletic Association (OHSAA) eligibility policy. This eligibility policy is different for students taking 5 classes versus that of 6 classes and can be found on the last page of the Elective Program of Studies linked above.
A comprehensive listing and descriptions of the over twenty elective courses offered at SJHS!
This presentation provides general information about the Junior High, focusing on the course selection process for the 2020-21 school year
Four sample 7th grade student schedules have been provided to help understand the scheduling process